Tuesday, April 15, 2008

The outside matters too . . .

Recently I had a talk with Steve Hall (the owner of the company I work for). We were talking about living healthy and being fit. He has formed a group of us at work and we meet every couple of weeks to encourage each other and to learn from Dr. Andy the things we can do to live healthy lives. Part of this talk was in the area of the way that people perceive you when they look at you (um . . . me in this case). I'm about 110 pounds overweight - and while I am one handsome dude - the fact is I am fat. Steve's concern is that it could affect my ability to lead and inspire others.

The conversation got me thinking. As much as I'd like to argue his point - I think he is right. So of course in my mind I'm trying to rationalize my weight (I really don't eat all that much, it must be hormones, etc.) but coming up empty with a reasonable and logical argument for remaining and being fat.

Then yesterday our pastor sent out an email and in it was this paragraph: "1 Samuel 16:7 says, Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart. Some people tend to believe the second part of this verse and overlook the first part; both are true. God does look at our hearts and men do look at our outward appearance. How we dress and what we do to our bodies "defines" who we are to other people. The "good" news is that you may look, dress, and act any way you please; the "bad" news is that other people can (and will) form any opinion they choose based upon your "outward" appearance."

Rats. I wonder if the Lord is trying to tell me something? For better or for worse Rocky is right. In a perfect world people wouldn't see the fat before they see me, but if it were a perfect world I'd be skinny with 6-pack abs (yeah right).

I guess I'm just going to have to lose the weight. I lead a team of six people right now at work and our sound team at church has about the same number on it. While I think the folks that know me look past the fat - they see that I am hard working and a good leader - people that I may meet for the first time may very well form an opinion about me that just isn't true. The other side of this is that it is really hard for me to tell the people that I lead that they can improve themselves and take control of their lives if I am not fleshing it out in my own life and showing them that I can do it too.

One more thing before I move on - my personality is the type that I normally don't care a bit what other people think about me. This is especially true if I am not in relationship with the person in some way. But the mantle of leadership does carry with it the burden of being an example as I go on my journey. I have always prided myself in being the type of leader that does not ask his folks to do things I am not willing to do myself - so I have to lose the weight. Maybe I’ll post before and after pictures here in the future - YIKES!

2 comments:

Jason said...

Now why did you have to go say all that. I know you are right, but I am in the same boat. Perhaps this will motivate me.

Keep us up to date.

Jason said...

http://jpowell.blogs.com/jason_powell_church_it/2008/04/church-its-bigg.html