Friday, June 20, 2008

My new baby . . .

This is a tech heavy post - read only if tech language gets your juices flowing.

I worked out the final details today of my new virtual server host system. It is an IBM x3650 system with two 3 GHz Intel Xeon Quad-Core CPUs, 32 GB of RAM, six 300GB SAS drives, and two additional network cards with 4 ports each.

The plan is to deploy it with MS Windows Server 2008 Enterprise so I can take advantage of the Hyper-V technology. I'm going to configure the drives into a RAID 10 so my total storage on the server will be around 900GB.

I may make one more change before I order and change out the drives for two 73 GB and four 300GB. This would give me a RAID 1 for the system OS with 73GB total and then put the additional four into a RAID 5 config with a total storage of 900GB. I like the idea of having two seperate spindle sets for the OS and the virtual machines but I also like the RAID 10 idea too. Still thinking this one over before I order.

Ultimately this machine will run a total of about 10 virtual servers on it so it has to be beefy.

No comments: