Friday, July 18, 2008

VMWare vs. Microsoft Virtual Server

I've been running Microsoft Virtual Server for about 2 years now with no problems. My friends that work in IT have told me I am nuts for not giving VMWare a shot. They gush on and on about how feature rich it is and the performance gains I will have by switching to it.

So . . . I'm going to give it a shot with the new server I just ordered. I had my rep drop the OS from the quote and I'm going to do a bare-metal install of the VMWare software. I've got a total of six physical servers that are going to be virtualized and I plan to run them on this new server plus four new ones to bring up. My existing virtual server is going to continue to run the MS product for a few months while I evaluate VMWare. My goal is to have a side-by-side comparison of the two products and make a decision on which one to keep. I'll post my finding and decision when I finally come to it.

No comments: