Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Backup strategy . . .


I am trying to work up a weekly backup strategy and the months with 5 Saturdays are killing me. Right now I do all backups to disk. Most of the data is backed-up both on-site and off-site (across WAN) simultaneously and continuously, however, I do have 3 servers that process so much data and their backup sets are so large that I must do a traditional nightly backup with them and the backup sets are so large that I can never move across my WAN fast enough.

So, what I presently do is back these servers up nightly to a NAS in the building next door. I have decided to start doing a weekly backup on Saturdays that will capture the entire week of data that is housed next door and take that off-site. I have purchased five 1TB USB drives to use for this purpose.

The problem I am running into now is trying to figure out how the media rotation will work on months that have five Saturdays. The four Saturday months are easy. I'd like to automate it but so far have not figured out how to do this. I'm using BackupExec 12.

Anyone else have any ideas on how to do this?

1 comment:

Dean Cooper said...

Ok. I gave up trying to make week 1 off-site hard drive always line up with the first Saturday of each month. What I decided to do is a five week rotation and not worry about what week it is in the month. The end result is that I will always have one month of backups off-site at all times.