Tuesday, January 6, 2009

I can only imagine . . .

Our nation is quickly becoming a scarlet letter society. As a nation we are growing more vengeful and have less mercy for those that have fallen or screwed up their lives. I think a lot of this comes from fear driven by our insane 24 hours news cycle. The same stories get repeated over and over making a tragic event even worse in the minds of viewers and skewing the reality of the way life really is.

I just read an ESPN article about a football coach that cheered for the other team . The other team was a maximum security high school for teen offenders. Credit goes to Prodigal Jon for linking to this story - I found it because of him. I can only imagine what our society would be like if we all showed this kind of radical grace and acceptance of those that have fallen. I'm not talking about being stupid with grace . . . but in a wise way . . . there are many people that can be lifted out of the ditch they are in and given a second chance. Radical grace can transform lives.

After the game one of the players from the maximum security high school said this during a prayer at center field, "Lord, I don't know how this happened, so I don't know how to say thank You, but I never would've known there was so many people in the world that cared about us."

Wow.

Click here to read the article for yourself at ESPN. Credit for the nifty picture above goes to Deadly Viper Blog.

No comments: